Re: Feedback

On Dec 10,  1:24pm, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Subject: Feedback
>
> Are there specific directions for using the search engine at
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/search.html somewhere.

No, but if you would help write something up, it would be
most welcome.

> Running a search on /etc/ppp/ip-up.local (searching the entire doc)
> turns up many docs that *do not* contain that string.  It seems that the
> search engine thinks /etc/ppp/ip-up is good enough.

Probably something to do with the parsing of the indexing engine.
Did you try putting the expression in ""?

> The google engine in the same complex of pages turn up only docs that
> contain the string.

I just wish we could update the google index in a more timely fashion;
that's a big difference bwtn the 2 search implementations.

> It the former engine WAIS based.  If so, do some kind of altered WAIS
> commands work on it?

Yes it is wais-based; and I haven't looked into it in any detail as
to specifically what syntax it supports.

r,

Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg at sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ |
Linux Doc Project - http://www.linuxdoc.org/ | gferg at metalab.unc.edu