Re: Cataloging LDP White Paper: Categorization

From: "Kevin Cullis" <kevincu@orci.com>
> You're treading on my turn now ;-).  You've forced my to open my hand
> ;-)

Bwaaahaha!

> OK, here goes folks.  The BIG CAT is now out of the bag (at least from
> the idea standpoint, I'm still working on it). I would expect that each
> LDP document would have this matrix below which would be meta data.
> Again, THIS IS A PART OF A WHOLE WHICH I'M WORKING ON AND IS NOT
> COMPLETE!!  I've got to the end of November before I need to look for
> work, so this project is my full time work until then.

> Linux Documentation System White Paper:
> PATCH Categorization
>
> 10/17/00
>
> Man(ual) Pages and HOWTOs
> Spec database for hardware/software
> Software/Hardware updates
> Who supports what
> Library limitations/constraints (i.e. Libc, what it supports, etc)
>
> Search by: keyword, alphabet, model #/make of item, distro, FAQs,
> categories, process, hierarchal, task, function,
>
> Organized by:
>
> PATCH Categorization System: Process, Alphabet (Index), Time, Category,
> Hierarchy (Copyrighted, but will allow LDP to use freely to increase
> Linux world domination ;-) )

Copyrighted by whom? You?

I need a higher level overview of what these things represent. Are they
supposed to be contexts under which the user requires help, paradigms under
which documentation can be categorized, or what? This list is so dry and
concise that I don't know quite what to make of it. I have an idea but could
be wrong.

> 1  Process

> 1.1  Linux Development
> 1.1.1  Theory/Philosophy
> 1.1.2  Planning: Architect Design/Requirements Gathering
> 1.1.3  Coding
> 1.1.4  Compiling
> 1.1.5  Testing
> 1.1.6  Release/Acceptance
> 1.1.7  Maintenance

> 1.2  Linux User and Administration

I think usage and administration should be separated. They are separate
processes.

> 1.2.1  Background Information
> 1.2.2  Pre-installation requirements (chipset or specifications of
> hardware, etc.)
> 1.2.3  Installation
> 1.2.4  Configuration
> 1.2.5  Maintenance/Tune-up
> 1.2.6  Troubleshooting
> 1.2.6.1  Pre- and Post-Dependencies of subject matter ( what items
> affect it working correctly)
> 1.2.6.2  Where to go for more info (i.e. to manufacturer for specs)

> 2  Alphabet/Index
> 2.1  A-Z
> 2.1.1  HOWTOs
> 2.1.2  Manual Pages
> 2.1.3  Mini HOWTOs
> 2.1.4  Info pages

mini-HOWTOs should die.

An alphabetical list could (possibly *should*) be available across document
formats.

See http://www.linuxdoc.org/sorted_howtos.html

> 4  Categories
> [...]

We have quite a few howtos about specific interests such as ham radio, that
don't fit in this hierarchy. We also have HOWTOs on subjects like advocacy.
There was even discussion of a political activism HOWTO awhile ago.

I suggest that at some point soon you go through my categorical list and see
what you might have missed, if you haven't already. I realize this is a work
in progress and I don't expect it to be perfect, so this is intended as a
constructive criticism.

> 5  Hierarchy
> 5.1  Hardware
> 5.1.1  System: Motherboard, Memory,
> 5.1.2  Printing
> 5.1.3  Networking
> 5.1.4  Video
> 5.1.5  Modem
> 5.1.6  Storage: Hard Drive, CD-ROM, 3.5 floppy disk drive, CD-RW, Zip,
> 5.1.7  Sound
> 5.1.8

> 5.2  Software
> 5.2.1  System