Re: About docbook format

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 02:22:17PM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

As with  the DocBook V3.0 you must have a catalog and the
corresponding files to use DocBook V3.1.

> This is the error jade gives when running sgmltools on the lyx version:
> /usr/sgml2/bin/jade:<OSFD>0:2:1:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN"

Jade's saying that it couldn't find a rule to make "-//OASIS//DTD
DocBook V3.1//EN" into the correct DTD file. Your installation of
DocBook 3.1 is probably missing.

> The fist lines of the lyx version of the sgml file is as follows:
> <!doctype article public "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN"
>  [ <!entity header system "header.sgml">
>
> ]>

DocBook V3.1...

> Whereas the ldp version looks like:
> <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN">

DocBook V3.0.

> The LDP version uses some other tags as well (like <pubdate> opposed to
> just <date> that lyx generates).

That's because of the conversion proccess or because of the DTD
version.

> Is this a problem with sgmltools2 (or jade that comes with it) or with
> Lyx?

None as I've explained before.

> Which converter is used by you guys to convert linuxdoc to docbook? As
> the output of that converter does work here, that might be a solution. I
> could continue to write in linuxdoc and that program/script converts it
> to docbook. Though it's very far from desirable, it's at least something
> to start with.

I'd rather ask you to compare the LinuxDoc commands with the DocBook
ones and write directly into DocBook. Only this way you'll use it's
full capacity.

> I guess I could start writing docbook sgml files by hand but that would
> be the last thing I would want to do.

There are some tools (such as Emacs + PSGML) that can easy this
proccess. But, again, it's a choice of yours to use LyX. At least it's
header seemed very good :-) I hope it's output is good too. But you'll
be limited to LyX capacity and won't use DocBook's full power.

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>

Setor de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.