Re: Tables in Linuxdoc-SGML

Hi.

In <200002141843.TAA24083@alpha.cdg.acriter.nl>,
 at Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:43:49 +0100,
  on Subject: Re: Tables in Linuxdoc-SGML ,
   cg@cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) writes:

cg> sgjoen@mail.nyx.net said:
cg> > The questiones then are:
cg> >  - which is the preferred way of making a table?
cg>
cg> <tabular>. IIRC, it's described in the original Linuxdoc-SGML documentation
cg> but I haven't used Linuxdoc for a long time, so sorry for not being more
cg> specific.

The documentation for qwertz dtd is included in
  <ftp://ftp.gmd.de/GMD/sgml/sgml2latex-format.1.4.tar.gz>

The file doc/manual.ps shows some examples to use qwertz DTD.

For the example of using table, maybe this "manual.ps" and
it's source (manual.sgml, and else) will work.

The original Linuxdoc-SGML documentation (guide.sgml) said:

 "SGML-Tools  DTDs  are  based  heavily  on  the  QWERTZ  DTD  by Tom Gordon,
  thomas.gordon@gmd.de."

As far as I tried, some of the features of QWERTZ DTD can be used
in Linuxdoc DTD, but some are not supported.

The original Linuxdoc-SGML documentation (guide.sgml) said also:

 ・ The QWERTZ User's Guide is available from ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/
    mdw/SGML. QWERTZ (and hence, SGML-Tools) supports many features such as
    mathematical formulae, tables, figures, and so forth. If you'd like to
    write  general  documentation  in  SGML,  I  suggest using the original
    QWERTZ  DTD  instead of the hacked-up linuxdoc DTD, which I've modified
    for use particularly by the Linux HOWTOs and other such documentation.

But I have not found that "QWERTZ User's Guide".

Anyway, linuxdoc DTD is intended as the "introduction to SGML",
and the author suggest using the original QWERTZ DTD at the first.

IMHO, if users are interested in writing documents in SGML
seriously, then they should switch to use the DocBook DTD.

LinuxDoc DTD is for introduction, and the lightness is it's major point.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>