RE: QC volunteers? (Was: Re: General Positive Feedback re: revision of site (fwd))

"Any translation or derived work must be approved by the author in writing
before distribution."

In this case, distribution could mean electronic distribution - which means
the LDP wouldn't have the right to post a derived work without the author's
permission. Of course, since the LDP doesn't have a consistent license,
there's no telling which pieces of the LDP could, or couldn't, be updated -
unless you want to examine each piece separately. Some of the more vocal
people on this list have the position that a consistent license would make
it more difficult to work with the LDP.

The fact this topic of conversation is even brought up makes me think
differently. After all, if the overall goal of the LDP is to provide
high-quality, free information, then the ability to update and maintain
content easily, and without fear of legal action, is of utmost importance.
The LDP needs to put rules in place to ensure this happens. If authors don't
want to play by whatever rules the LDP comes up with, then they should post
their material elsewhere.

Jeff Koch