Re: I'm a sucker

Hello,

Aside: I didn't know whether I should send to both lists or not.  Is
only one valid?  Are they duplicates?

I've paid some attention to the this thread (which then changed into a
Style Guide thread).

I'm a Linux newbie.  I'm having trouble learning Linux.  I come from a
Windows background.

I have not yet read the "From DOS to Linux HOWTO", because I did not
know it existed until a few weeks ago, and haven't got to it yet.

Oops, stop!  I knew I wouldn't get away with that, so I just went and
read it.  Well, I skimmed it -- I will go back.  It looks very useful,
and I wish I had known of it on day 1 of my Linux sojourn.  (I learned
too much of the same stuff (over the last month and a half) the hard
way.)

Aside:  I wish some of the information were wrong, especially section
1.1 which asks whether Linux is right for you, and makes the point that
Windows excels in office productivity.  (I think I will be using Word,
Access, AskSam, ZyIndex, and Visio for quite a while.)

Anyway, the real point of this post is to suggest that getting Linux
newbies (whether from Windows, other OS's, or just plain newbies) to
read and comment on the HOWTOs would be a useful form of feedback,
especially if it was convenient for the newbie.  I've read a few HOWTOs
and had some difficulties.  I assume that some of you would be
interested in knowing where I (as a user, and newbie) had difficulty.

I'm going to be reading more HOWTOs (unless I give up on Linux).

Unfortunately, I haven't found the way to provide comments that I
consider convenient.  (I've posted another message seeking a WYSIWYG
editor for SGML, which is probably the convenience I want.  An alternate
could be a WYSIWYG HTML editor, but, unfortunately for the LDP (I
think), my comments would be on an HTML version of the document.)

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Add a section near the front of each HOWTO with statements like:

"If you are reading this, especially if you are a newbie to Linux, we
want your comments.  To make it as easy as possible for you to give us
your comments, we suggest that you use <_______> on Linux or <_______>
on Windows, which are WYSIWYG HTML editors, to read these HOWTOs.  Put
your comments directly in the documents and send them back to <the
author or the ldp or both>.  We want to know what is clear, what is
unclear, what is helpful, what is not helpful, what is missing, etc.

If you are a newbie to Linux, coming from Windows, we suggest you read
the "From DOS to Linux HOWTO".

2. Find convenient WYSIWYG HTML (or SGML) editors for both Linux and
Windows and list them in the above text.

3. Send something to Slashdot and similar locations updating everyone on
what the LDP is, and that it is looking for newbie volunteers to review
HOWTOs.  Include a suggestion that Linux veterans make their Linux
newbie friends aware of the LDP, the HOWTOs, the From DOS to Linux
HOWTO, and that you would like to find volunteers who would be willing
to provide comments on the HOWTOs as they search them out and use them
while learning (or using) Linux.  Try to get the word out to Linux User
Groups and book authors.

4. Help complete AbiWord (or encourage the completion of AbiWord) then
develop an XML "stylesheet" for LDP documents, and migrate the LDP
documentation to XML for WYSIWYG editing via AbiWord.

Randy Kramer