Re: Slashdot reply (draft 0.1)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 12:23:24AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > <flame>This is really stupid.  I'm sure there's a logic behind this, but I
> > can't grasp what it is.  I understand why these were put in place, but not
> > why they're still in use.  We should abolish silly distinctions to allow
>
> For simplicity.
>
> > LDP/
> > LDP/FAQ/
> > LDP/HOWTO/ (put the actual plain text HOWTO documents here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/DocBook/ (put the DocBook source here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/LinuxDoc/ (put the LinuxDoc source here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/pdf/ (put pdf output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/ps/ (put PS output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/tex/ (put tex output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/html/ (put html output here)
> > LDP/HOWTO/stuff I missed/ (put the stuff I missed here)
> > LDP/GUIDE/
>
> Too complicated.

Not really. There might be better ways, but I'm not thinking of one off
the top of my head :).

Greg Ferguson's suggestion of various languages is also important.

I'd like to see something like:

LDP/
LDP/FAQ
LDP/HOWTO/
LDP/HOWTO/html/this.howto/
LDP/HOWTO/html/this.howto/index.html
LDP/HOWTO/html/this.howto/index.en.html
LDP/HOWTO/html/this.howto/index.pt-BR.html
.
.
.

We should take advantage of the translations available and use the
available standards to make them more readily available. We'll have to
find a way to embed the available language support info into the actual
pages as they do with the debian web site.

> Even if we know the difference between a FAQ and an HOWTO, most ppl take
> this as "documentation".

Then they need to learn the difference. A FAQ is a specific type of
document. We shouldn't water that down just because some people haven't
yet learned. Our mixing it up will only make things worse. I don't know of
anyplace else where a FAQ isn't question and answer format.

I think organization should be on type of content, content, presentation
format, e.g. FAQ and HOWTO are 2 different types of content, then inside
those types we separate based on subject, e.g. GIMP or Laptop, and finally
we hit the individual presentation formats such as DocBook or text.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#                  der.hans@LuftHans.com                  #