Re: working SGML package (was: free vs. non-free debate)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Scot E. Wilcoxon wrote:
>
> > Mention of Linuxdoc led me to Freshmeat and web searches to
> > Linuxdoc-SGML
> > 	http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/linuxdoc-sgml/
> > Which points to the new location
> > 	http://www.sgmltools.org/
> > Which says SGMLtools has been suspended.
>
> According the website, the project known as SGMLtools 2 has been
> suspended, and the reason is that the main driving force, Cees de Groot no
> longer has time to carry on the project. The project was started with a
> very high profile and a short time-frame to convert from SGMLtools 1.0x,
> which is based on LinuxDoc, to SGMLtools 2, based on DocBook.
>
> However, if you look on the web archives of the SGMLtools mailing list at
> http://www.via.ecp.fr/ml/sgml-tools/ it is still very much active, and CdG
> is also still actively participating in the discussion.

To make it short:
 - for Linuxdoc SGML you will need sgml-tools (v1)
 - for DocBook SGML you need jade and stuff.
	The SGMLtools (v2) are a frontend to this. The current package
	does include the whole lot (if you take the big file).

I am doing some test to package the SGMLtools front end seperatly for now
but I'm not quite sure it will work. So individual parts can be updated
independently. However this may take more time. Another option I am
investigating is testing how much scripting would be needed to use the
packages from the Cygnus site to generate the output I am used to get from
the CVS version of the SGMLtools.

As toolbuilder for a Dutch documentation project it is in my own interrest
to get a workable, scaleable solution somehow. As non-programmer I am
unable to pickup the project myself. But sharing knowledge may result in a
toolset that is both flexible and easy to use for authors.

If anything workable arises I 'll let you know.

I would advise the LDP to form a team to organize the knowledge about
current tools and mirror them to the LDP site and document their use. So
future writers may find a helping doc to get them writing.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/